Monday, October 15, 2012

10 questions and answers from CNMI teacher



1.      As a teacher in training, what do I need to know about assessment?

As a teacher in training, I have learned that assessments give us a snapshot of what students have achieved, and what they need to achieve over a period of time. Very much like the SAT 10’s and the SBA’s, assessments give us a view of what benchmarks need to be strengthened in our students; by individual students, or across the whole school.


2.      What are several ways you assess your students?

What I always remembered was DFS: Diagnostic, Formative and Summative assessments.

3.      What is the purpose of assessing students?

With Diagnostic assessments, teachers are able to see what the students know, where their learning levels are, and what needs to be taught. With formative assessments, I could clearly see if there is any improvement or who needs a little more help with a lesson, or use this assessment to see if I need to re-teach the whole lesson (of which, I’ll be glad to do). Summative assessments tell me what my students have learned. This may come after a lesson, after a quarter, or after the whole year.


4.      What do you do with the results of your assessment?

Assessment results may be shared with parents, teachers, school content department members, or administrators.

5.      What are your most effective assessments and why?

All assessments are effective but I believe that formative assessments would be most effective in the course of a lesson. They may be quizzes, they may be projects that students could do in order to show just how much they’ve learned and how they can put their new knowledge to work.


6.      How do we assess without stressing out?

There is nothing I can do if I stress too much but I’m always trying to mind control and this is the most effective for me to not stress out too much.

7.      What is your biggest challenge when it comes to evaluating students?

   My biggest challenge is when I have to balance assessment because I should know what are student’s strengthens are and weakness.


8.      What is the difference between Common Core and CNMI standards and Benchmarks?

Basically, Common core is aligned with every aspect of subject area. The stark difference between CNMI standards and Benchmarks and the common core emphasizes somewhat different cognitive skills; devoting less time to memorization and performing procedures and more to demonstrating understanding and analyze written material.


9.      What is the purpose of assessing students?

The most obvious purpose for assessing students is to determine their individual needs. While teaching a specific subject, it can be difficult to determine which students are grasping the material and which are falling behind. Regular assessments allow you to see which students may need a bit more individual help and which need to be challenged more.

Assessments are also a way for the teacher to get feedback on how well he is doing as an instructor. If a few students in the class are failing to comprehend certain subjects, they may need extra help. If the entire class is consistently showing poor results, however, the teacher may need to change his approach to delivering the material. In this way, regular assessments are also tests to show how well the teacher is doing.

10.  Why is assessment important?

Assessment is important because of all the decisions you will make about children when teaching and caring for them.  All of your assessment decisions taken as a whole will direct and alter children’s learning outcomes.


10 comments:

  1. Who did you interview~??
    The responses are very neat!
    They are greatly related to what we have learned so far in this class. As a future teacher, it is somewhat sad that there is nothing teachers can do to assess students without stressing out, except mind controlling. However, I do like the acronym "DFS." Now, I will never forget the three types of an assessment. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I interviewed from each 3 different people!! lol
    5 questions for teacher at Hopwood, 3 questions for from private school and 2 questions for from velma!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked reading the answers to the questions in your interview. I actually think it is cool that you had 3 teachers responding, because not all teachers would give the same responses. I agree with DaHea that what they said go with the things we have learned in class. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lauren!!!! It was actually good to interview 3 teachers and I truly appreciate that they answered my questions:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked how you interviewed more than one teacher. Its good to see different opinions from different teachers. I only interviewed one, and he was overwhelmed with my questions. But I like the responses that they gave. Very similar to what we are learning in class. They also gave some good ideas to remember. Good job Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Edbhy!! Thanks for comment on my post:) Same here, it was a good opportunity to interview from 3 different teachers. They put on effort answer each questions:) and hope to apply in my future classoom!=)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like all of the responses from all three teachers:)
    All of theses remind me what we have learned from this class. as a future teacher, all of them will be helpful for us to teach future students.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad that I interviewed wonderful 3 teachers. I was able to get more sense of assessing students:) I absolutely agree with you, these information would be extremely helpful for us to prepare a real teacher!!=)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its nice that you interviewed 3 different teachers. It shows the difference in how assessment is used in their class. We see that not all of them assess in the sames ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What your saying is absolutely true, Arayanee:) Not all of teachers assess in the same ways..so it was very good to interview them:)

      Delete